Monday, March 16, 2015

Aldsburg in 3D

Playing with my 3D printer this weekend I created a very small scale model of the City of Aldsburg.  I'm still adding bridges and need to create a separate piece for the Tower of Steel.  Each of the towers is huge - a single level of the Lions Tooth, for example, could (and in some cases does) hold three distinct villages.

After finishing the bridges and adding the Tower of Steel I'll likely add some of the Wards (places between towers that people live) then do a bit of painting.

Next steps are to design better towers and bridges - add some details and print everything bigger - probably 2x with an eventual goal of doubling that scale as well.  I also need to get a better feel for the terrain - adding some variation, slopes, that sort of thing.

Chances are I'll create the model in a larger scale but do a print at this scale again (just shrinking it before printing).  Each level of the mountain is 5mm, the towers range from 10mm to 25mm.  So the Tower of Skulls is 47mm (2mm for the base, 20mm of terrain, 25mm for the tower) tall ... which is less than 2 inches. I made the models in Sketchup 2015, used Repetier for the slicing and printing software, and did it all on my Printrbot Simple (which I totally put together myself).

The Towers
  1. Brindle's Gate
    • primary way in/out of Aldsburg
    • home to plenty of military and insane Aldsburg bureaucrats
  2. Lions Tooth Tower
    • where the campaign has been focused
    • currently the most defined of the towers
  3. Juniper Tower
    • an prison for the insane
    • run by a cult called The Administration (aka the Doktors)
  4. Iron Blood Tower
  5. Blue Tower
  6. Pillar of Ivory
    • wherein the fanciest of nobles and the Patrician live
    • the most elegant and decorated tower
  7. Jundar Tower
    • also known as the Tower of Giants
    • current involved in a Halfling revolt
  8. Bull Tower
  9. Winter Tower
  10. Mountain Perl
  11. Tower of Skulls
    • contains a huge temple to the Wyrd
    • contains the bones of noble dead and heroes of worth
    • creepy as hell wit the bone and death motif
Villages / Wards
     A. Village of Greaves
     B. Village of Helm

Reasons for the Print
The first reason is because it is FUCKING AWESOME!  Seriously.  I got a 3D printer from my wife and have been using it.  Because it is a 3D printer!  I'm still fascinated with the fact that now I effectively have a fabrication machine in my house.  Unbelievable.

The second reason is because I tried to map this on paper and it was a mess.  I want my players to get a feel for the scope and scale of this thing that I've been working on for ages and this seemed the best way to do it.  I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out and have learned more about my printer and design.


No comments:

Post a Comment