Friday, October 10, 2014

Defining "OSR"

I'll admit that first I barely pay attention to the whole OSR argument.  The internet is full of people that like to argue and fight and mistake their opinions for thoughts.  The fact that a community came into being about playing awesome games and then some folks are pissing and moaning that it is being "Taken Over" and talking trash and generally being jerks makes me sad.

OSR is whatever you want it to be.  I run a HackMaster 5e game and while the rule set is definitely not "old school" the way we play is.  Therefore I run an OSR game.  Do you disagree with me?  I don't care.  At all. 

Everyone can just do whatever they want and play however they want and argue whatever they want.  In the end, I'm going to continue to run my game the way I like and the way my players like.  I honestly don't give a flying fig about what qualifies as OSR gaming.  What I do care about is that people are making tons of cool stuff and letting their creativity and imagination drive the fun. 

If you want to define OSR go for it but be aware that you are probably limiting yourself. 

"... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage." --Maude

No comments:

Post a Comment