I'll track time in HMAEE using the following 5 time scales.
- Affect Weather
- Affect creatures and dispositions
- Tracking major time - one adventure per season
- Birthdays are determined by season
- Also allows for abstracted training & recovery time
- A season has 12 weeks
- useful for long distance non-encounter travel
- sometimes used for ill effects
- 6 days in a week
- tracking food
- 1 slot holds 6 days iron rations or 3 days standard rations
- wilderness exploration and travel
- A moment is a short, abstract amount of time
- if it becomes important, each "moment" is either 10 or 2d6+3 minutes
- Used for local (dungeon) exploration and interaction
- akin to the old school "turn"
- this is the general time unit that things take
- "i'll be a few moments"
- searching a 10' x 10' section of wall or floor takes a moment
- Combat and anything that initiative and reaction time are important
- some traps require initiative rolls
- some non-combat situations require each character act together in a particular manner