Also, a second session of experience running the point-crawl has been great - I'm getting a feel for how my players see the world I'm describing and getting better at describing what I want them to see.
First Adventures in the Dreadful Wilderness [Last Session of 2016]
- Cornelius the Harvester was a Sorcerer
- He is dead, his Place of Falling marked by and endless gyser of black blood and oil
- The Part met and dealt with a gang of savage cannibals, The Royals
- There was some fucking around a mine
- Big explosion and magical chaos
- Results include lost arms (now replaced with robot arms), lost leg (replaced with crutch), and dead Royals
- Later the Royals show submissive behavior and tell the party about the way to Haven
- They also mention that the Fields of Flesh is ripe and they are worried with the Harvester gone
- The party decided to check out WTF was up with the gross flesh trees with big hairy "breeding pods" hanging from them because who wants a horde of whatever-the-fuck rampaging everywhere because of your actions or lack of actions or some combination of the two.
- After School Special lesson is on the horizon...
So .... Let's Explore the Flesh Forest! [First Session of 2017]
- The party realizes that they are low on food, and decide to all go foraging.
- Xian and Zigfried manage to harvest some berries (dung berries and rashberries) with only minor consequences
- Creasy goes hunting with magic and draw the attention of something ... large
- Meanwhile Katt and Freddicus start setting up snares using his jar of guts ...
- The thing in the cave is calling out to whatever Creasy just carved up and suddenly errupts
- It seems to be a fur and scale covered worm the diameter of a tree trunk, but it doesn't seem to end! It undulates a foot above the ground and doesn't have a face so much as a split open ragged end filled with recurved teeth. And it is fast!
- The battle rages on, but in the end, Xian ended up casting a spell that broke time and he sacrificed himself to save the others.
- Now the party has a baby Ian they are carting around! And all that was just foraging for food.
- Phi joins the party. He has his mouth sewn shut with silver wires and looks ... odd
- Katt recalls that he is an Enchanter
- The next day the party makes their way into the Flesh Forest and starts exploring.
- An old cache is uncovered under a cairn - it gets looted of course.
- The party also learns that Cornelius was once a soldier in a battle against witches or the faerie
- After a while the party makes their way into the Bone forest where the flesh trees are all dead - their bones cracked.
- The sky is overcast and thunder rolls in the distance
- The party watches an 8' tall humanoid wearing chains and a mask of a human face that appears to be made by a child
- When they attempt to engage it it runs away into the forest just as the rain begins
- Moving toward the place of Power that Creasy sensed the party sees an old collapsing stone tower that the marsh river has flooded
- They find a safe place on the 2nd floor, they also realize that the water is bad news and causes Katt to pick up some sickness
- Creasy breaks out a spell and changes the space between the tower and the river, causing the river to drain out and the trap door on the first floor to be revealed
- It is, of course, magically trapped with some sort of Seizure Spell, but the party deals with that
- In the underplace the party finds a moving mosaics and friezes
- Then the find the real deal ... the place of power is a huge chamber and in the center is a dias
- In the center of that dias is a human figure the size of a young child, but with the head of a sparrow
What will the party do? What is that in the center of the dias? Where are the slaves that are supposed to be growing from the flesh trees growing in cysts? Is the harvest upon us? WHO KNOWS!
Table of Weird Stuff: Mutant Cat Biz
Unrelated to the above, just a good old fashioned random table. Roll 1d10.
- Scorpion tail
- Claws of mythril that rend armor
- Teleports only to inconvenient places for the adventurers
- Great dangling teats at which suckle daemons that protect mommy
- Huge with eyes like headlights
- They talk in stilted common but some words are wrong ... they know about fret
- Hovercat. Damnhellyea
- Butterfly wings that deflect magic
- So much hair you aren't sure where the cat is
- Friendly and well behaved. May bring you some tea.